POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : abyss.pov media study. : Re: abyss.pov media study. Server Time
2 May 2024 05:58:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: abyss.pov media study.
From: omniverse
Date: 13 Nov 2018 14:55:01
Message: <web.5beb2b71cf530bce9c5d6c810@news.povray.org>
> On 13-11-2018 11:49, omniverse wrote:
> > The abyss.pov is a great scene to play with. I was trying changes to it July
> > 2017 according to my render dates. I remember looking for underwater whale
> > pictures to see examples from reality. They were mostly bluish in color, from
> > lighter to darker... and very clear to my surprise! But I liked the green murky
> > water idea too, at first. My last render of it was with the blue color instead.
> >

> I fully agree with you. Those whale pictures might be taken in very
> clear ocean waters: Pacific, Arctic/Antarctic. Other seas/oceans are
> more murky, like the North Sea. In Das Boot, the (Atlantic) Ocean is
> shown more like in Gille's scene.
>
> --
> Thomas

Good point.
After looking at more info about some submarine depths (typically about 200
meters or 600 feet) and light transmission in oceans, the green color makes the
most sense if the location is near shore or shallow waters. Which is probably
where a mine field would be anyhow.
Funny that when I was younger I thought those submarine movies were usually
taking place near deep ocean bottoms, maybe 1000's of feet below the surface...
unless they were going up to use their periscope.

Was a while back when I saw a rerun of the very old TV show Sea Hunt and they
mentioned color change due to depth. Something about 'yellow becomes gray'.
Red end of the spectrum looses its colors, leaving green to blue, and going
deeper only blue is left.
Something about this was discussed many years ago about water renders in POV-Ray
and the blue color and depth, but I didn't remember that. What I said above is
from another look info found on the 'net. I'm not a diver.
;)

Bob