POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Shot glass test : Re: Shot glass test, with liquid Server Time
5 May 2024 10:37:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shot glass test, with liquid
From: Kenneth
Date: 26 Oct 2018 13:30:03
Message: <web.5bd34ec99da521643b397d0@news.povray.org>

> As for the alpha thing, it might be worth trying `use_alpha on` in the
> finish block. That'll turn off that texture layer's highlights and
> specular reflections wherever the image is transparent.

Is that an undocumented feature of use_alpha? (Or perhaps I'm not reading the
docs correctly?) In '3.6.2.6.4 Using the Alpha Channel', the only thing I see
there that might give a clue is this:

"Note: The following mechanism has some limitations with colored highlights:

When generating non-premultiplied alpha output to a classic low-dynamic-range
file format (e.g. PNG), transparency of particularly bright areas will now be
reduced, in order to better preserve highlights on transparent objects."

But that description seems to imply the opposite of 'turning off' the
highlights.

Mea culpa: I've never used the 'use_alpha' keyword, so I don't really know what
visual effect it produces.