POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : "Position Finder" results : Re: "Position Finder" results Server Time
28 Apr 2024 08:10:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "Position Finder" results
From: Kenneth
Date: 4 Oct 2018 13:05:01
Message: <web.5bb64732813dde7aa47873e10@news.povray.org>

> After testing, I think you will get more reliable results using
> Reorient_Trans(y,Norm) instead. Otherwise the arrow text has a tendency
> to rotate around the original y axis.

[off-topic]
That little suggestion of yours has actually cleared up a long-standing mystery
for me. Having assumed that Point_At_Trans and Reorient_Trans produced the same
results, I had always used the former, for normals found on the surface of a
sphere (it just seemed easier)-- with the result being that my placed object
there rotated 90-degrees every now and then, relative to the surface's own
normal-- specifically, when the traced point crossed the border of
triangular-shaped 'quadrants' on the sphere surface. (It also occurs on the dips
and undulations of a height_field.)

I thought that this was due to a natural ambiguity of the found normal. But
Reorient_Trans doesn't perform that un-wanted rotation, as I see now. Excellent!