POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : "Position Finder" results : Re: "Position Finder" results Server Time
28 Apr 2024 07:47:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "Position Finder" results
From: Kenneth
Date: 3 Oct 2018 15:45:01
Message: <web.5bb51b0a813dde7aa47873e10@news.povray.org>
> I think if you look at:
>
> http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.7.1/246/
>
> you'll see several things...

Oh my GOD, that drawing is all WRONG!! If the 'position' is inside my eyeball,
and my eyeball shoots a ray toward my computer screen, it's at an ANGLE, and
then when the ray enters the screen and goes inside my computer, it's still at
an ANGLE, and, oh my GOD, nothing works right, and, and...

:-P

My feeble attempt at humor for today. "You know you've been raytracing too long
when..."

> I don't think you're/we're going to get very far fiddling with code or working
> backwards from the existing macro.

Funny factoid: As I continue working with the code and making little incremental
advances (while removing bits and pieces that are no longer needed), I see that
I'm already inching closer and closer to re-making the code from scratch. But
currently in a *slow* hit-and-miss fashion  :-/  I shall ponder on your sage
advice and conceptual suggestions ;-)

Another tidbit: Up until now, I've spent the VAST majority of time trying to
work out that stubborn 'normal' business from trace(...)-- but the real point of
the code is finding a POSITION (the returned translation.) The normal-based
rotations are more like pretty window-dressing-- albeit very nice window
dressing. I need to concentrate on the POSITIONING accuracy for awhile.