POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : grouping transforms into one final rotation? : Re: grouping transforms into one final rotation? Server Time
26 Apr 2024 04:40:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: grouping transforms into one final rotation?
From: Kenneth
Date: 17 Sep 2018 21:30:01
Message: <web.5ba0549981dcebf3a47873e10@news.povray.org>

> If you know the transformation contains no translation, the vector
> <0,0,0> isn't needed as it is then guaranteed to transform to itself.
>
> Once you know the matrix coefficients, using those to compute Euler
> angles (presuming the matrix is a pure rotational matrix) would then be
> the next step.

Yes, mine is purely a rotational transform.

Thanks to both you and Bald Eagle for the detailed replies. I need to digest it
all, to make sense. (Matrices are "way above my pay grade" at the moment, but I
keep trying to fully understand what they can do, and to learn to use them
intelligently. I see that they're a 'core concept' with a lot of power.)

Just a thought for the future: Could there be a way of writing some source-code
that would deal with all the matrix multiplication etc. behind the scenes, with
the end result being a user syntax that would actually allow simple dot-notation
to pull out x/y/z components from a transform (maybe just for rotations)?
Presently, the inner workings of matrices are pretty much all Greek to me... and
I can see that such a code addition (if possible!) would be useful.

My naive thought for the day ;-)

Meanwhile, I now have some hard cogitating to do...