POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : grouping transforms into one final rotation? : Re: grouping transforms into one final rotation? Server Time
25 Apr 2024 21:21:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: grouping transforms into one final rotation?
From: Kenneth
Date: 17 Sep 2018 16:40:00
Message: <web.5ba010d081dcebf3a47873e10@news.povray.org>
Thanks. The combined transforms do work, as a construction-- but there's a
problem when trying to use the final NEW_ROTATION transform in a #debug
statement (by 'pulling it apart' with the required dot notation)...

#debug concat ("\n","rotate    <",
          str (......,0,3),str(.......,0,3),str (......,0,3),
                 ">\n")

I can't find a usuable syntax for the components.
For example, neither of these  two work there, because #debug doesn't like to
see the transform{...} keyword:
transform{NEW_ROTATION.x}
or, transform{NEW_ROTATION}.x

I also tried to get just the x/y/z components beforehand, like...
#declare FOO_X = transform{NEW_ROTATION.x}
or,  #declare FOO_X = transform{NEW_ROTATION}.x;

....or a few other odd attempts, for subsequent use in the #debug; but no luck.
In these cases, the parser treats the 'dot' as a foreign object in the
#declare.

Maybe there's another syntax that I haven't thought of? Or could the problems be
due to a transform being just a raw matrix(?) behind the scenes, with no way to
extract x/y/z components?