POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : TBTFH 2018 status : Re: TBTFH 2018 status Server Time
3 May 2024 05:54:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: TBTFH 2018 status
From: jr
Date: 7 Sep 2018 20:55:01
Message: <web.5b931ccdabd6e8dbb0d4fc1e0@news.povray.org>
hi,

> > > a)  There's a quality 11?    (Throws horns, bangs head)
> > :-)  section (docs v3.8, section 3.2.8.3)
>
> I see.
> For some reason the page I went to specified that section as I/O no

strange.  double-checked, the section number's correct, and unchanged from the
3.7 docs.

> restrictions, but I found quality 9, 10, 11.
> My message pane window displays the lower redundant value of 9.

the default.  I'm guessing that the Windows version must do the same "behind
your back" when radiosity is detected.

> > > b) I don't see a radiosity block in this scene...
> > immediately below the '#include' lines, the (second) global_settings block.
> Oh THAT radiosity "block".
> First of all, that's a radiosity LINE, son.
> And second of all, these damned dried frog pills that I imported from Scotland
> send up a cloud of dust every time I bite into them, so I missed that sections
> when I was scrolling down...

heh.  "Should have gone to Specsavers.."  ;-)

> > > Render Time:
> > >   Photon Time:      No photons
> > >   Radiosity Time:   No radiosity
> > >   Trace Time:       0 hours  0 minutes 33 seconds (33.499 seconds)
> > >               using 4 thread(s) with 0.-04 CPU-seconds total
> >
> > and that is *fast*.
>
> Well YEAH - WITHOUT radiosity.
> I enable that commented line, and it took 27:40.   I thought I was doing ok when
> it was at 3:30 and started actually rendering a visible scene, but then it hit
> that BTFH....  :|
>

> > the work machine a Linux box too?
>
> Nope.
> And now that you mention it, it's a 32-bit Win 7 box that has some
> network-linked account......   I wonder what else that's slowing down....
> That would explain a LOT about some of my spreadsheet woes.

I thought you worked in .. paradise.  can you not build another?

(I once read in someone's sig block: "Computers are like air-condition, you open
Windows and they stop working"  :-))

> > did you compile POV-Ray or installed a pre-built binary?  fwiw, I compile + add
> > "-march=native -mtune=native" to the compiler flags.
>
> I installed it as per Dick Balaska's instructions, so I'm just hoping he knows
> what he's doing   :D

you'd have to ask him.  ;-)

> Parser Time
>   Parse Time:       0 hours  0 minutes 47 seconds (47.337 seconds)
>               using 1 thread(s) with 0.-01 CPU-seconds total
>   Bounding Time:    0 hours  0 minutes  0 seconds (0.059 seconds)
>               using 1 thread(s) with 0.-01 CPU-seconds total
>
> Render Time:
>   Photon Time:      No photons
>   Radiosity Time:   0 hours  2 minutes 40 seconds (160.610 seconds)
>               using 4 thread(s) with 0.-04 CPU-seconds total
>   Trace Time:       0 hours 24 minutes 10 seconds (1450.793 seconds)
>               using 4 thread(s) with 0.-04 CPU-seconds total
>
> So it seems that your i3 is doing just fine   :)

yes, not too shabby.  the times are for 'qtpovray' I take it?

will follow this up tomorrow, I've been playing with the colour and the latest
run was two minutes faster (!!) than the previous.  need to chck this further.

regards, jr.