POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Bezier-patch torus : Re: Bezier-patch torus Server Time
30 Apr 2024 05:50:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bezier-patch torus
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 5 Sep 2018 08:35:01
Message: <web.5b8fcd6edc5d6572c437ac910@news.povray.org>
> I am not sure I understand what I am looking at. The shadows suggest a
> thoroughly torn up object (the shredding I suppose).

I swapped out the parametric equation of the torus for the trianguloid trefoil
(attached animation) as it seemed to have sharp twists and switchbacks.
While the torus is a nice, gentle curve, I wanted to challenge the interpolation
algorithms for the intermediate control points of the Bezier patches, and the
Bernstein polynomials that locate any u,v point on any patch.

I'm not sure if this means I've still got some code to "fix", or that the Bezier
patch simply can't be bent to this extreme without exhibiting artefacts.

The "shredding" seems to be the disconnected edges of the bicubic_patches that
follow the surface of the parametric.

Given that I made the subdivision quite large, and my u,v steps on the patches
is quite large (5) for such small patches, I would imagine that there ought to
be adequate coverage.  The patches (should) share the same edge control points -
but that's an unconfirmed assumption, and may be the source of the problem.

"Here's a method for covering something with Bezier patches" ... now how far can
I push it without it breaking?

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'parametric2 00_00_00-00_00_12.gif' (555 KB)

Preview of image 'parametric2 00_00_00-00_00_12.gif'
parametric2 00_00_00-00_00_12.gif