POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : POV-Ray v3.8.0-alpha.9811560 : Re: POV-Ray v3.8.0-alpha.9811560 Server Time
28 Apr 2024 19:47:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray v3.8.0-alpha.9811560
From: Kenneth
Date: 2 Sep 2018 18:10:01
Message: <web.5b8c5fb1c46e580da47873e10@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > Am 02.09.2018 um 17:03 schrieb Kenneth:
>

> > Just for the records: It's the v3.7-beta installation you've screwed up,
> > not the v3.7 proper installation...
> >
> > A proper install of the /beta/, followed by an uninstall of it, should
> > be the way to clean up this issue.
> >
> > Or run "regedit" and throw out `HKCU\Software\POV-Ray\v3.7-beta` and/or
> > `HKLM/Software/POV-Ray/v3.7-beta`.
>
> I may go both routes...

Just to follow up:
It all worked out very smoothly.

In case you're curious...
First thing I did was to take a look at the registry; there was lots of detritus
in HKCU\Software\POV-Ray\ , including some *old* stuff from a previous defunct
hard drive (labeled a "G" drive, for reasons that I understand but are hard to
explain, ha.) No POV-Ray entry at all at HKLM\Software\.

Leaving that stuff alone for the time being, I took a 'brute-force' approach and
un-installed BOTH (all) my current versions of POV, including any and all
app-specific folders. Going back to the registry, I then deleted the *entire*
POV-Ray 'folder', instead of picking and choosing individual entries in it. Then
rebooted. Taking another look there, it was nice and clean re: POV-ray, no trace
of it remaining (that I know of.)

I did download and install beta 4 at this point, for curiosity's sake; then
uninstalled it, and re-cleaned the registry. Then another reboot.

Then I re-downloaded and installed v3.7.0, the newest 3.8 'alpha' engine, and
3.7.1 beta 9, in that order. Just like my previous set-up. After a little
updating of POVRAY.INI and quickres.ini, everything works fine now.

No vestige of beta 4 remains!!