POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Smoothing bicubic_patchs. A pain. : Re: Smoothing bicubic_patchs. A pain. Server Time
28 Apr 2024 01:48:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Smoothing bicubic_patchs. A pain.
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 22 Aug 2018 19:00:01
Message: <web.5b7deabb9b869b61458c7afe0@news.povray.org>
"Tor Olav Kristensen" <tor### [at] TOBEREMOVEDgmailcom> wrote:

> Yes, that is possible. Just create 3 bivariate functions with the appropriate
> Bernstein polynomials and feed them to the parametric object. But you need
> patience for that...

Pffft.    Then forget it.  None of us Povvers have any patience for that kind of
thing..
We want the instant gratification of hand-coding 1776 lines of SDL that hands us
that first frame of a 3600-frame animation by the very next day!

> > Then, given a point <m, n> (or <u, v>) on the surface, one could place things ON
> > the surface of the patch.
>
> Yes, this image shows some white spheres and cylinders following a path in the
> UV-space on the surface of a NURBS-patch:
>
> http://dataduppedings.no/subcube/POV-Ray_Images/NURBS_Grid.jpg

Right - I've admired that one also.
I haven't yet gotten to coding any NURBS objects - but I'm sure it's an
inevitability   ;)

> See also the attached image where the I've put some sphere sweeps on a Bezier
> patch. (Notice that you can read out the radii for the sphere swept curves
> (0.06, 0.46 and 0.48) in the UV-mapped texture.)

Yes - that's a neat trick.  I can already see the 2 rotating sets of rolling
spheres in a bowl-shaped Bezier patch, oscillating in simple harmonic motion.

Very nice images as always - you surely have some great macros worked out in
order to be able to make all these "custom" renders in short order.