POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Smoothing bicubic_patchs. A pain. : Re: Smoothing bicubic_patchs. A pain. Server Time
11 May 2024 05:32:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Smoothing bicubic_patchs. A pain.
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 19 Aug 2018 08:00:00
Message: <web.5b795aa69b869b61458c7afe0@news.povray.org>

> Last night, I dreamed about Klein Bottles. That would be a hellish job
> to model I guess. ;-)

Probably pour a hell of a cocktail too   :)

I was actually inspecting TOK's tori more closely to to try and understand where
my first attempt (this round) went off the rails.  I think it's because I kept
all my data isolated to the patch instead of "looking over" to see if there was
another patch adjacent to that edge.

And that got me thinking about how he automates the patching of a torus - and
the kind of data structure and algorithms that are needed.

I think I get it.   I also think I might need to write some macros to do things
with arrays that we don't have yet, or that can only be done "the long way" - so
macros it is.

Thanks for the kind words.   It's been slow going.

It seems like there are a few projects hovering around some common things, and
it would be great if there were some breakthroughs and they could coalesce.

Very interested in JimT's work on the triangular patch, and BGimeno's excellent
patterned tori.  I think the triangular patch would open up some new
possibilities, or at least make them easier to implement.