POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ringworld (continued) : Re: Ringworld (continued) Server Time
9 May 2024 19:27:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ringworld (continued)
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 8 Aug 2018 15:35:01
Message: <web.5b6b44f994c089801b6c6b3a0@news.povray.org>
> I also attached my latest render to this post. The shadow squares'
> widths now match what was apparently stated in the books. The shadowed
> regions on the ring look much better now.
>
> However, I had to double the height of the shadow squares in order to
> block out the sun. See the parameter `RWorld_Shadow_Square_Width`. I'm
> not sure why this was necessary, as the original height was equal to the
> sun's diameter, and should have fully blocked its light.

Yay for more Ringworld! Nice image.

I don't remember any of the details any more, but I remember spending time going
through the book for measurements and descriptions when I last tried this (some
years ago now), and I don't recall any issues like you describe. Someone
mentioned ambient in the foregoing discussion - of course, the lit areas of the
Ring would cast secondary light onto the night areas. I'm sure Niven mentioned
arch-light in place of moonlight somewhere...

And of course his maths was bad - he had to write an entire sequel novel just to
deal with the Ringworld's intrinsic instability ;-)

Bill