POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : qtpovray-3.80.1 for Linux : Re: qtpovray-3.80.1 for Linux Server Time
5 May 2024 16:53:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: qtpovray-3.80.1 for Linux
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 29 Jul 2018 14:10:05
Message: <web.5b5e02ce636a8243458c7afe0@news.povray.org>
Well, I've played around with this, and it is of course different - but I think
that even after giving it some time to get past the adjustment phase, I find
certain things a bit awkward.

The right-click to "select for rendering" is a real mistake waiting to happen -
I think most folks are used to rendering the scene in the selected tab, and even
if this was the original default POV-Ray, I think that would be the intuitively
expected behaviour.

I currently have a scene NOT in the /home/oem/documents directory that I'd like
to edit and render.  It's not at all clear how to do that.

The use of the screen real estate doesn't seem conducive to writing scenes - at
least for me.  I don't really need to see the file directory the whole time, nor
even the message pane.   Though having the option to put the message pane as a
vertical strip where the file directory currently is would be nice I think.

Vertically stacking the scene tabs rather than trying to cram them on screen
horizontally would be the best way to arrange them I think - even with the
official distribution (I know, it's a Windows editor...)

Adding some additional color options would be great, or at least having the full
range of available coloring in the usual Win editor - colored numerical values,
x, y, z, vectors, and other reserved keywords.

The docking behaviour of the render window took a bit of time to grapple with.
I mistakenly docked it above the coding tabs and it was pretty challenging to
get it resized and put back into the default position.  It's also "always on
top" which I think should be an option that can be toggled.

The resource filter thing is also a bit confusing.   It seems to do the opposite
of what the description implies ... but that could just be me.

Clicking the "NEW" button/icon tries to open something "under" the currently
selected filename instead of "in" the current directory.

"Insert" button/icon currently does nothing that I can see.

I do very much like the line numbering - that's much better than just showing
what line the cursor is currently on.

I also like the option to put some of the comments and keywords in BOLD text.

Thanks for getting this all set up and running   :)  I'm happy to have started
the switch from M$, and look forward to (re)learning some of the pre- and
post-render commands that can be used, and other helpful tools as well.