POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Oblate spheroid cartography : Re: Oblate spheroid cartography Server Time
26 Apr 2024 08:23:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Oblate spheroid cartography
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 18 Jul 2018 21:00:00
Message: <web.5b4fe16e32871de6458c7afe0@news.povray.org>
> Am 19.07.2018 um 00:02 schrieb Mike Horvath:
> > Several types of latitude are described here:
> >
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latitude
>
> Wow. I never imagined latitude was that complex of a topic.

Ah reality.   So many details.

I suppose one should ask if making any corrections is appropriate and necessary,
or overkill for accomplishing the desired goal.

"The difference between the semi-major and semi-minor axes is about 21 km (13
miles) and as fraction of the semi-major axis it equals the flattening; on a
computer monitor the ellipsoid could be sized as 300 by 299 pixels. This would
barely be distinguishable from a 300-by-300-pixel sphere, so illustrations
usually exaggerate the flattening."

"On the reference ellipsoid for WGS84, the centre of the Eiffel Tower has a

define a point on the ground which is 140 metres (460 feet) distant from the
tower.[citation needed] A web search may produce several different values for
the latitude of the tower; the reference ellipsoid is rarely specified."

What's the scale of the scene, and will +/- 460 feet be in any way significant?