POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.inbuilt : revisiting rand(...) : Re: revisiting rand(...) Server Time
10 May 2024 23:06:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: revisiting rand(...)
From: Kenneth
Date: 17 Jul 2018 16:15:00
Message: <web.5b4e4d6114e7ffaca47873e10@news.povray.org>
> Alain <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:
>
> > All values are equally possible, including 0 and 1. The mantissa for a
> > float is about 52 bits IIRC, so, you have a 1 in 2^52 chances of getting
> > a 0 and the same of getting a 1. Very small but not zero chance.
>
> So then maybe round to the nearest Q decimal place to "compress" the range and
> increase the likelihood of getting a 1 or a 0.

Compressing the range is an interesting concept, that I wasn't aware of. I'll
give some thought to the formula presented there. But I would suspect that
POV-Ray's internal rounding would be *either* 'round up' OR 'round down', but
not both (?) In other words, a 1.0 (but never a 0.0), OR a 0.0 (but never a
1.0).