POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Fat triangles : Re: Fat triangles Server Time
1 May 2024 23:48:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fat triangles
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 31 May 2018 12:20:00
Message: <web.5b1020a3532d7f86c437ac910@news.povray.org>
"lelama" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > I've posted these to see if there is enough interest for me to either post code,
> > bugs and all, or spend (quite a bit of) time cleaning it up and uploading to
> > objects.

Yes, there is always interest - I played with the very simplest of objects a
while back - a rounded box with different radii, for a plastic tabletop for my
warehouse WIP.
I see that was your initial impetus as well.

> Thanks Jim, this is an interesting idea.
>
> I made some trials on the same idea although my computations were the other way
> round : from the three spheres, let say in the horizontal plane, I first
> computed the 2 tangent planes to the three spheres, the one above the spheres
> and the one below. From the 6 tangency points, we get 6 lines. Grouping these
> lines by pair, we get 3 cones. More specifically, in the middlee of each pair is
> a line through the centers of 2 spheres, and the corresponding lathe object
> around the middle line is the cone to be added.
>
> This construction shows if I am not wrong that the cone is tangent to the plane,
> so I did not understand your C1-problems in your first message.
>
> My goal was much more simple than what you did. I just wanted to draw rounded
> boxes with different radius along the edges.

My naive take on this is just instantiate 3 spheres, put 3 cones in - that
stretch between centers and have the appropriate radii on either end,  and then
place 2 triangles stretching across the top and bottom center points of the
spheres.
This of course assumes that the spheres are coplanar with - let's say, the x-z
plane.

Not having had the time to code this up and render a few examples, I could be
WAY off.

I think the polyhedra are cases that will probably show that more general cases
are indeed more complex and require some tangency points to be calculated.
I've been meaning to code up some of the more basic "here's where two lines
intersect" type tools - but then some damned thing IRL always becomes higher
priority.  :(