POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Fat triangles : Re: Fat triangles Server Time
2 May 2024 04:52:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fat triangles
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 31 May 2018 09:55:00
Message: <web.5b0ffe15532d7f86c437ac910@news.povray.org>
"JimT" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Everyone is familiar with the roundcone, a convex object, and the sphere sweep
> derived from it. A while ago I thought about connecting three spheres smoothly
> with cones.

NICE shapes, and beautiful office chair!   :)

I am not at all sure if it's even analogous,  but a while back I ran across an
interesting page that made a rounded cuboid, like a superellipsoid, using IIRC
max and/or min functions.

I successfully reproduced this.

I'm not sure if you can do the same with triangles, but at least intuitively, it
seems possible.

Unfortunately, I'm at work, in the middle of (ok, at the tail end of) moving,
and have to bring my son to the dentist....   so I haven't been able to dig up
the original page.

This is the closest I've found so far:

http://iquilezles.org/www/articles/distfunctions/distfunctions.htm

Maybe if you can do it as an isosurface, and then use one of the
grid/mesh/smooth triangle methods of vastly speeding it up...

Just a weird tangential idea....