POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : hilbert2d utility : Re: hilbert2d utility Server Time
3 May 2024 04:03:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: hilbert2d utility
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 29 May 2018 21:35:01
Message: <web.5b0dff97ff7db64c10874a080@news.povray.org>
"jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> v natty.  and many more "goodies" on this channel.  thank you.

No prob.   There's lots of cool stuff out there, and SO much to learn!

> how does/would distance relate to colour?

3.6.1.1.2 Color Map

Most of the color patterns do not use abrupt color changes of just two or three
colors like those in the brick, checker or hexagon patterns. They instead use
smooth transitions of many colors that gradually change from one point to the
next. The colors are defined in a pigment modifier called a color_map that
describes how the pattern blends from one color to the next. New in version
3.7.1 non-linear color map interpolation support has been added.

:D   :P

I suppose if the Hilbert curve is a "curve" that is continuous function and can
go from a value to a 2D coordinate, then perhaps there is the inverse of the
function that can go from 2D coordinates to the 0-1 values in a color map.

It might take some finagling to get it to work in a practical sense, but I guess
I'm envisioning a pseudo-Hilbert curve function, where you can specify a number
for the "order" or whatever the proper term is, or there's a function for the
"real" Hilbert curve, and you'd "just" fill a unit square with it.

I was guessing you were much more well versed in the topic and would have some
idea as to how to implement it.