POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : comet effect by translate? : Re: comet effect by translate? Server Time
7 May 2024 12:47:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: comet effect by translate?
From: Kenneth
Date: 27 May 2018 16:20:00
Message: <web.5b0b1235c08c4821a47873e10@news.povray.org>
A comet's tail is actually composed of tiny particles or gases (blown off the
comet by the Solar wind, I think), so the tail effect isn't actually
motion-blur-from-movement (although it *looks* like that from a distance.) As
others mentioned, media might be a more appropriate way to create the tail;
perhaps media within a transparent cone object(?). Plus some turbulence.

However, your running-man example made me think of a 'solid media' idea,
something I posted years ago. It might be helpful, to get the effect you're
after. Take a look at the image example I posted there, a kind of step-by-step
guide...

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/message/%3Cweb.4436e54a72fe66658ad7a9060%40news.povray.org%3E/#%3Cweb.443