POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Using bezier_spline : Re: Using bezier_spline Server Time
18 Apr 2024 09:18:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Using bezier_spline
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 25 May 2018 21:00:01
Message: <web.5b08b1698fdca69f10874a080@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:
> On 25/05/2018 21:08, Alain wrote:
> > Le 18-05-24 à 17:57, lelama a écrit :
> >> dick balaska <dic### [at] buckosoftcom> wrote:

> > Yes, in a way.
> > If the spline is from a sphere_sweep, simply putting them into an union
> > will do the trick.
> >
> > If you want a genuine spline that is the concatenation of two or more
> > splines, it's more complex : You need to edit the splines to make a
> > single one from the points of the original ones. If you have anything
> > else than a linear spline, you need to take care of the control points.

Right.  To manipulate truly as one spline, they should be redefined as a single
spline.
If you're just looking to "stick them together" so that they can be manipulated
as the same object, then unioning them together will do that, but you'll have to
think about the alignment.
One will have to be translated into the proper position, if it isn't already
defined that way, and to get the right junction point, you need to look at the
slopes and curvatures, which IIRC is done by matching the first and second
derivatives of the curves.
Way easier to let POV-Ray just handle the raw data points.
I have always found it easier to define an array of points and then use the
array in the spline or sphere-sweep.

> If I remember well. Moray had an object that was a bezier patch that did
> what was required in two dimensions.
> I have no idea how they did it.

POV-Ray has the bicubic patch, which is a Bezier patch, but I've found that the
best results for aligning it would be to have a 3x3 grid of them tethered
together at the edges.
I tried this a while back - really really tried, and didn't succeed.

Perhaps I'll take another stab at it some day.