POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Reading things differently. : Re: Reading things differently. Server Time
26 Apr 2024 04:53:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reading things differently.
From: Kenneth
Date: 18 May 2018 15:50:02
Message: <web.5aff2d616db5d976a47873e10@news.povray.org>
> Am 18.05.2018 um 13:11 schrieb William F Pokorny:
> >
> > Guessing the magnitude of linear improvement will depend on the SDL
> > writer's characteristic verbosity(1)?
>
> Absolutely. Every character you type (including whitespace) is a
> character the scanner has to scan. So minimizing your WCV will continue
> to be good advice(*).
>
> (*for getting top parsing speeds; legibility is another matter)

Pity the poor SDL programmer who includes copious comments in his scene (and
long variable names) just to make sense of his or her complex scene code. Uh,
like me :-/

I guess the best recourse is to wait until the scene is 'sealed in stone', then
make a copy of it for 'real' rendering, stripping out ALL unnecessary stuff
(including as much whitespace as possible), to get a lean and efficient parse.
(I'm thinking mostly of a complex animation scene.) I assume that this would be
good practice in ANY high-level language.