POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Hexagon pattern with 4 or 7 colors? : Re: Hexagon pattern with 4 or 7 colors? Server Time
27 Apr 2024 15:52:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hexagon pattern with 4 or 7 colors?
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 15 May 2018 10:15:01
Message: <web.5afaeb1f97bd1601c437ac910@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

Excellent - I figured you were busy.  I haven't had much time to focus on any of
the various projects going on either.

Mike Horvath and clipka seem to be pretty active in modeling the various color
spaces, as evidence on Wikipedia.
Colors are indeed a lot more complicated than what people might naively assume
at first glance.  Like anything else, it's a combination of the wavelength(s)
involved, the eye receptors, the neurological interpretation of the sensed color
data, and in the case of the thing you're looking at, if it's printed - what
pigments, dues, waxes, inks are being used, and what range of colors they can
represent when mixed.

Which reminds me, I have to probably go back and fix an sRGB thing I was working
on and botched a while back.  :|

It's good to see that the simple color map gives a good [faux] HSV result - that
ought to be useful when I need to accomplish the same result yet keep the code
simple.

I looked a bit further into the method by which you accomplished the random
coloring of the hexagons, but haven't yet worked out how to specify a specific
number of colors to use.   Since you're color_mapping a 3-part pattern, I'm
assuming there may have to be a way to overlap the color maps for the various
parts, and there may be a few different ways to do that.

I haven't looked into the text / object pattering of the hexagon pattern - but
it's becoming clearer.

I'll bet it heating up down in VA - summer has arrived in NH   :O