POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Hexagon pattern with 4 or 7 colors? : Re: Hexagon pattern with 4 or 7 colors? Server Time
27 Apr 2024 17:13:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hexagon pattern with 4 or 7 colors?
From: Kenneth
Date: 15 May 2018 04:00:01
Message: <web.5afa92f697bd1601a47873e10@news.povray.org>
> "Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>
> > The *idea* is to get a continuous spectrum of colors, from red to green to
> > blue-- and those index-list values certainly don't do that. The index
> > should be divided into THREE equal segments...
> >
> >      blend_mode ...  // optional
> >      blend_gamma ... // optional
> >      [0.0     rgb <1,0,0>]
> >      [0.333   rgb <0,1,0>]
> >      [0.666   rgb <0,0,1>]
> >      [1.0     rgb <1,0,0>]
>
> Well, I'd suggest using the HSV color conversion macro in colors.inc, and
> calculate the rgb values that way.  Not sure if that will give you
> exactly what you want, but plugging in 0, 120, and 240 for hue angle
> values might just do it.
[snip]

I *finally got some free time to look into this. (The HSV and HSL color models
are new to me-- as well as CIELAB and etc etc-- so I looked those up as well.
There are certainly a lot of facts to digest when it comes to colors, and how
they can be represented!!)

I tried the CHSV2RGB macro experiment with your HSV values, and the
color-spectrum results are visually identical to using the rgb color_map above;
so, either one works well. (The macro's equations certainly do what they're
supposed to do, and very accurately!)