POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : hilbert2d utility : Re: hilbert2d utility Server Time
17 May 2024 05:12:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: hilbert2d utility
From: Kenneth
Date: 13 May 2018 11:15:00
Message: <web.5af85647ff7db64ca47873e10@news.povray.org>
jr <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

(Sorry that I'm not responding as quickly as I'd like; not much free time
lately.)

> suppose you had used the method described to make the HilbertTower
> image, the template would be a "strip", ie the windows/facade for a
> single floor, and would have been applied 20 or so times?  thanks.

It *could* be done that way-- floor by floor-- but the basic window photo tiles
I use are typically 3 or 4 window-units wide, and the the same in height. It
depends on the photo, or if there's some interesting subtle variation in it.
Some photos have lots more windows. But the underlying scene code does apply the
windows floor-by-floor (and in single-window widths, if that makes sense to
you.)

One small detail I left out: the horizontal rooftops. They have to be
constructed in a different way, because the final building is just a
multi-height_field 'shell' with no innards (and no top!) I haven't arrived at a
good method for that yet ;-) For a simple 4-sided 'box' building, the roof could
likewise be a thin box; but a 'Hilbert-style' building (i.e., one with indents)
would need something more complex.