POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : hilbert2d utility : Re: hilbert2d utility Server Time
17 May 2024 03:30:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: hilbert2d utility
From: Kenneth
Date: 10 May 2018 17:20:00
Message: <web.5af4b6afff7db64ca47873e10@news.povray.org>
jr <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> can I read slicing + dicing as using a tile-based method?

Yes, and in two different ways.

The INITIAL 1X1-unit (horizontal) height_field is made from some Photoshop
artwork-- which is derived from a building-face photo I snatched from the
internet. (LOTS of those!) The photo will generally show a good number of
windows.

That photo (and its HF derivitive) are first trimmed to be a repeating tile,
with a certain number of window units (which actually varies from photo to
photo, depending on the photo itself and on my own whim.)

The initial height_field is then repeated (or 'assembled') into a much more
expansive HF-- lots of repetitive tiles, and all still horizontal. (The actual
windows photo is then applied to this as a repeating pigment, in a likewise
way.)

This is the main HF 'template' -- which is then flipped vertically (as a
building face), then trimmed down to any particular width and height that I want
for a particular building shape. For a typical 'boxy' building, it's just a
matter of making four of those building faces and rotating/translating them
correctly-- with the caveat that the chosen face widths should not 'slice
though' any actual windows.

For a building with *indents* in the faces -- like the Hilbert example (OR
protrusions)-- the HF template needs to be 'sliced' into smaller widths for
those sections. My 'Hilbert Towers' example image looks like it would need 28(?)
different faces-- but could make use of identical repetitions to reduce that.

> you use HFs to get balconies and such?

Well, to a limited extent. So far, I've used the HFs only to get *recessed*
windows, and also some slightly protruding shapes (like window lintels and the
occasional air-conditioner that sticks out a window.) I think actual balconies
would require a different(?) approach-- only because of the balcony railings.
They don't look right as part of the HF.