POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Hexagon pattern with 4 or 7 colors? : Re: Hexagon pattern with 4 or 7 colors? Server Time
13 May 2024 05:09:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hexagon pattern with 4 or 7 colors?
From: Kenneth
Date: 2 May 2018 10:35:01
Message: <web.5ae9cc3397bd1601a47873e10@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> Success! Random-colored hexagons....
> texture{
>       pigment{
>            hexagon
>            pigment{ // #1
>                  cells
>                  color_map{
>                          [0 rgb <1,0,0>]
>                          [.5 rgb <.3,1,0>]
>                          [1.0 rgb <0,0,1>]
>                          }

Here's a much better-looking color_map to use (for all THREE pigments.) The
original ones showed too much overall green. At first, I thought the problem was
due somehow to the simple index list I used-- 0.0 to 0.5 to 1.0 -- but the
solution was to dampen down the primary-green *intensity*. This new map has a
much more 'neutral' color appearance. To test it, I scaled the hexagon pattern
*really* small-- almost like noise-- then rendered it with AA (very important),
then took that image into Photoshop and blurred it. The resulting 'aggregate'
color was very close to neutral gray, as measured there... which is what the
three primary colors *should* look like, when combined correctly.

The new one:
    color_map{
        [0.0 rgb <1,0,0>]
        [0.5 rgb 0.47*<0,1,0>]