POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Hexagon pattern with 4 or 7 colors? : Re: Hexagon pattern with 4 or 7 colors? Server Time
13 May 2024 04:47:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hexagon pattern with 4 or 7 colors?
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 1 May 2018 08:20:01
Message: <web.5ae85b6c97bd1601c437ac910@news.povray.org>
I'll probably be posting some links here as a repository for working this out
further.

I found this, which seems to delve into some off the ideas I've been mulling
over.  The adaptation of a cubic pattern is something I was trying to work out,
having noticed this while doing my rgb color mapping project.

https://www.redblobgames.com/grids/hexagons/

I think the best way to further pursue this would be to define specific
hierarchical goals and expand that into pseudocode.

Then perhaps we can see if that can be adapted into a function-only pattern with
a 0-1 result that can be properly color/pigment/texture/material mapped.

It would be especially lovely if this could be expanded into a diamond-lattice
space-filling pattern as well.  And I might not be surprised if using a
backwards-approach from 3D to 2D or 4D to 3D by projection, or a geometric
inversion would somehow yield a solution.   There's a lot of stuff out there,
and sometimes I only have a whiff of what might be useful.