POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : random-colored BRICKS : Re: random-colored BRICKS Server Time
17 May 2024 22:06:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: random-colored BRICKS
From: Kenneth
Date: 22 Apr 2018 15:15:05
Message: <web.5adcdddb95b142bda47873e10@news.povray.org>
Sven Littkowski <I### [at] SvenLittkowskiname> wrote:
> Is there any way, to derivate a "deck planks" version from these bricks?
> On my own, I am trying hard, since weeks, but not being successful yet.

Yes, I think it's perfectly possible, using POV-Ray's own brick pattern
(disregarding the 'mortar' part of it or scaling its thickness to zero to make
it essentially invisible.) It should be a simple(??) matter of putting a 'wood'
pattern inside the 'cells' pattern as described earlier-- the 'wood' being in
the cell's pigment_map. Like this...
cells
pigment_map{
           [.5 my-wood-pigment] // with maybe some kind of black-hole
            // warp to create 'knots' in the wood?
           }
.... if you want only one wood pattern. (If you put more than one pigment into
the pigment_map, the cells pattern will 'blend' them in random ways, which may
not be very realistic, IMO.)

Then flip the entire overall texture-- rotate 90*x -- to make the pattern
horizontal for your wooden deck.

The only problem with using the brick pattern for such wood planking is that the
planks will all be the same length and width-- like regular bricks are. I would
imagine that a more realistic wood floor would look better with *random*-sized
planks (or at least with random lengths.) I don't *think* that's possible using
the 'brick' pattern, which has a preset way of making its bricks all the same
size.

Maybe my 'made from scratch' brick pattern could be altered to do this; I
haven't tried it.

HOWEVER, using POV-Ray's own brick pattern, and with the mortar scaled to zero
so as not to show, there may be a way to make random-sized wood planks-- or what
*look* like that-- by some odd scalings of the cells pattern AND different
'offsets' in the warp{repeat y offset <...>}. While I was originally
experimenting with all this brick stuff, and choosing *wrong* warp offsets, I
did come up with *mistakes* that may be useful for such wood planking. I would
suggest taking my latest brick code and 'wrongly' altering the scales and warp
repeat values, to see what occurs.