POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : random-colored BRICKS : Re: random-colored BRICKS Server Time
15 May 2024 15:24:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: random-colored BRICKS
From: Kenneth
Date: 21 Apr 2018 16:35:00
Message: <web.5adb9fa795b142bda47873e10@news.povray.org>
Here's an interesting geometric problem to think about:

A large solid structure made of alternating-row bricks may look correct on the
outside-- but what should the inside volume of that structure look like? In
other words, what 'layout' of alternating bricks would work best for the inside
volume, while *still retaining* the correct outside appearance? I don't think
it's possible; the inside would need some kind of 'herringbone'(?) brick
layout-- but the outside surface would invariably show some brick' ends', rather
than full-length bricks.

POV-Ray's 'brick' pattern (or even using a 'made from scratch' variety) shows
that the inner bricks are either square or in some other ratio-- but the bricks
repeat regularly, with no offsets.

The only way I can see of making such a real-life structure is to have the
outside bricks as one pattern (a 'shell' of bricks), while the inside volume
uses a different brick-layout altogether. I wonder how real bricklayers
('masons') approach this problem... if they deal with it at all!