POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : random-colored BRICKS : Re: random-colored BRICKS Server Time
30 Apr 2024 17:17:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: random-colored BRICKS
From: Kenneth
Date: 21 Apr 2018 13:50:03
Message: <web.5adb787695b142bda47873e10@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> Throughout my (many!) experiments with this, I noticed a kind of repeating
> diagonal pattern of the bricks, when using just <.5,0,.5> for the warp
> 'offsets.'...

The answer just occured to me!

1) The cells pattern is naturaly composed of cubes.
2) Those cubes have a thickness in all dimensions-- naturally!
3) The warp 'repeats' of <.5,0,.5> are apparently smaller than the cube
dimensions. So when the next row of bricks is created-- starting at y=0 --
there's a very good chance that the *same*-colored cube will be chosen for some
of the bricks in th next (offset) brick row. That is, until the <.5,0,.5>
offsets get to another differently-colored cube, spatially speaking.

To test this, I scaled the cells pattern to be much smaller in z, immediately
before the warp{repeat...} statement...

scale <1,1,.01>
warp{repeat y offset <.5,0,.5>

As expected, this eliminates the 'diagonal' pattern! On the FRONT face, that is.
The only problem now is that the SIDE walls of the brick building are scaled
totally wrong. (Likewise, trying to use scale <.01,0,.01> will mess up ALL the
brick faces.) So there's no easy way to eliminate the 'diagonal' pattern by
squasing the cubes-- except to keep them at their regular cubic shape and then
to make the OFFSETS much larger, as I did. Perhaps there's another more-involved
method which will work, but I can't think of one...