POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : INVITATION: Join the Mississippi Paddle-Wheel Steamer! : Re: INVITATION: Join the Mississippi Paddle-Wheel Steamer! Server Time
18 May 2024 19:15:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: INVITATION: Join the Mississippi Paddle-Wheel Steamer!
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 12 Apr 2018 10:10:00
Message: <web.5acf67ee2c27e340c437ac910@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:

> Sorry for the criticism, Sven. The planks of wood look as they have been
> cut across the grain. Mostly, the grain should run along the length of
> the plank.

> Regards
>      Stephen

Right.  I don't think he's going to mind that sort of constructive criticism -
so no need to be sorry   :)

I was going to point that out as well, and say that the contrasts in the wood
grain and the surface normals need to be much more pronounced.  Especially on
the cut ends.

Start with a wood pattern, figure out its orientation, and align your plank with
that.
Then you can translate around in that texture-space to vary the wood grain from
plank to plank.  Then you can place that plank in its final location.

It's likely you're going to want certain features in your end product - wisps of
wood sticking up along the corners of rough-sawn lumber, tool marks, wear, dirt,
gouges and tool-marks, nails, pegs, wear from traffic, etc.

I'd say that if you're going to carry all of that through, you're quickly going
to realize that creating and placing all of that by hand for each plank is
impossible - and so you're going to need macros to do that.

Then you may need to overlay the floor as a whole with a mask of some sort to
apply dirt, hay, wear marks, changes in normals and reflectivity, etc.

I'd do those experiments in a small test scene to make it easier to see what
happens up close, keep render times down, and speed up your development.

It's a lot to work on, but if you modularize it so that you can make small
piece-wise changes, it will be manageable.