POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Help ! : Re: Help ! Server Time
2 May 2024 17:34:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help !
From: Kenneth
Date: 6 Apr 2018 02:40:00
Message: <web.5ac71616dd1ae8eaa47873e10@news.povray.org>
> Am 05.04.2018 um 19:09 schrieb kurtz le pirate:
>
> >  - the floor currently uses
> >     finish {
> >         ambient 0.00
> >         emission 0.10
>
> No. No. Absolutely no. Unless you /specifically/ want to model something
> that glows in the dark, do NOT EVER use "emission".
>
> If you want to brighten up shadows, use radiosity or "ambient".

That's interesting; I thought ambient and emission were identical in their
effect (in a non-radiosity scene, that is.) Basically that they are
interchangable. I haven't yet seen an indication in the docs that suggests
otherwise(?)

Is there a visual difference? Or does it have to do with making sure that
POV-Ray's internal computations are performed correctly?