POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : City buildings of different kind : Re: City buildings of different kind Server Time
5 May 2024 00:04:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: City buildings of different kind
From: Kenneth
Date: 27 Mar 2018 21:45:00
Message: <web.5abaf260653a98a1a47873e10@news.povray.org>
> playing with height functions

Very nice!

What I've noticed from looking at real city images (well, using New York City as
my guide-- a *mostly* grid type of layout), the street widths and their block
sizes are interesting: The main thoroughfares are wide and long, while the cross
streets are narrow. And the city 'blocks' between the narrow streets have only
two buildings back to back (of various ground plans, of course, along with an
alleyway), while the wider streets are much longer, with many more buildings
along their lengths. In other words, the street-isolated blocks of buildings are
not square, but rectangular. (Older thoroughfares like NYC's Broadway go in a
diagonal direction, but that's another matter!!)

That's my plan for my own city, anyway-- when I finally get around to coding it
;-)