POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Any Suggestions Regarding Digital Camouflage? : Re: Any Suggestions Regarding Digital Camouflage? Server Time
26 Apr 2024 09:51:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Any Suggestions Regarding Digital Camouflage?
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 23 Mar 2018 08:10:01
Message: <web.5ab4ee1e924ba398c437ac910@news.povray.org>
"Dave Blandston" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> What I'm searching for is a function (fractal in nature) that accepts an (x, y)
> location as input and returns a color index value. After researching further it
> appears this is a topic of extensive scientific research and effort. It only
> _sounds_ simple!

Indeed - I looked up "digital camouflage"  and "camouflage algorithm" and got a
lot of hits on Guy Cramer and HyperStealth.

My thought was to use crackle on top of crackle, although maybe what you might
try is using crackle as a base pigment to scan with eval_pigment(), and then
overlay a randomized / turbulent cells or other blocky pattern "on top" of that.

I didn't have time to code anything up, but I'd say it's something that would
need to be iterative, rather than a straight-through one-time function evaluated
based on <x, y>