POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Any Suggestions Regarding Digital Camouflage? : Re: Any Suggestions Regarding Digital Camouflage? Server Time
25 Apr 2024 12:31:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Any Suggestions Regarding Digital Camouflage?
From: Dave Blandston
Date: 23 Mar 2018 00:00:00
Message: <web.5ab47b1e924ba398cfd0510a0@news.povray.org>
Alain <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:
> Let see...
> First, change the uniform pigments for the checkers pigment :
> #declare ColourBase = color_map{[1/3 checkers rgb 0 rgb 0.5][1/3
> checkers rgb 0.35 rgb 0.7 scale 0.5][2/3 checkers rgb 0.35 rgb 0.7 scale
> 0.5][2/3 checkers rgb 0.55 rgb 0.98 scale 0.25]}
> #declare ColourFilter = color_map{[1/3 checkers rgb 0 rgb 0.5 filter
> 1scale 0.4][1/3 checkers rgb 0.35 rgb 0.7 filter 1 scale 0.2][2/3
> checkers rgb 0.35 rgb 0.7 filter 1 scale 0.2][2/3 checkers rgb 0.55 rgb
> 1 filter 1 scale 0.1]}
>
> Next, place the warp{turbulence} blocks BEFORE the pigments so that the
> turbulence don't affect them :
>
> #declare Camo = texture{cells warp{turbulece 0.3} color_map ColourBase}
> texture{cells warp{turbulece 0.5} color_map ColourFilter scale 1/4}
> texture{cells warp{turbulece 0.8} color_map ColourFilter scale 1/16}
>
> This way, the cells pattern get the turbulencs, but, the checkers
> pattern should remain undisturbed.
> The various scales will make pixels of various sizes.
>

> Alain

Using the checker pigment sounds promising to get the pixelated appearance but
the color_map code generates an error. The POVRay documentation explains "You
may use color_map with any patterns except brick, checker, hexagon, object and
image_map." Darn!

What I'm searching for is a function (fractal in nature) that accepts an (x, y)
location as input and returns a color index value. After researching further it
appears this is a topic of extensive scientific research and effort. It only
_sounds_ simple!

I have decided to cheat by extracting the color index values from a photo of
digital camouflage. This will guarantee accurate reproduction of the camouflage
pattern even though I am unable to do so algorithmically.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have used camouflage in various scenes over the
years and your first camo code is very unique and useful.

Regards,
Dave Blandston