POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : radiosity brightness-- subtle problem at low values : Re: radiosity brightness-- subtle problem at low values Server Time
3 May 2024 06:39:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: radiosity brightness-- subtle problem at low values
From: Kenneth
Date: 20 Mar 2018 19:05:00
Message: <web.5ab192771cab2f0ba47873e10@news.povray.org>

> But maybe instead of your colours getting "washed out", what you really
> mean is that your colours are getting "burned" - the effect that you get
> when one or two colour components exceed the dynamic range of the LDR
> output file format and is thus clipped, effectively desaturating the colour.

Yes, that is what I meant-- and you explain it better than I did :-;

> If that is what you get, the proper solution is to tune down the
> brightness of /both/ the sun and the sky (which, as noted before, isn't
> the same as tuning down the radiosity brightness setting).

I do see the reason for rad brightness 1.0 now; but it's the turning down of the
sky brightness that puzzles me.

Still assuming a low-dynamic-range setup, not HDR: If I use a sky photo of
clouds that looks nice-- set to emission 1.0, and which might actually appear in
the rendered scene-- turning down its brightness (i.e., emission value) will
cause it to have a 'dull' visual look in the render (what was once full white
now being a somewhat darker gray, for instance.) While that may indeed 'balance'
the radiosity lighting as far as color-clipping of object surfaces goes, the
visual appearance of the 'sky' itself is now dull. (That was my reasoning for
making two identical photo-mapped sky spheres-- where the *visible* sky is still
at emission 1.0)

So maybe my two spheres simply don't have the proper no_reflection tags (or etc)
in the right places? You may have alluded to this earlier; but which setting to
use where is still a little mysterious (so that all the rad 'numbers' again work
correctly behind-the-scenes.) Sorry to keep asking these odd questions; there's
only a *little* bit of mystery remaining ;-)