POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : radiosity brightness-- subtle problem at low values : Re: radiosity brightness-- subtle problem at low values Server Time
30 Apr 2024 16:38:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: radiosity brightness-- subtle problem at low values
From: Kenneth
Date: 13 Mar 2018 22:25:00
Message: <web.5aa8870c1cab2f0ba47873e10@news.povray.org>
Alain <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:

> If you *realy* want to set brightness that low, then you can dodge the
> bug by setting the radiosity's adc_bailout to something smaller than the
> default, like 1/128, 1/256 or less.

Yes indeed, that does work. But the funny thing about the current bug is that
the slowdown only seems to occur with these values:

brightness:  <= .020
adc_bailout (for radiosity): >= .01 but < .05 (a small range, actually)
recursion_limit: *anything* (1 to 20)

Whereas, an adc_bailout of .009 solves everything; that value doesn't have to be
any lower, it seems.

Of course, this is with all of the other radiosity values being defaults. Maybe
they affect it too(?). I don't know; too many permutations to test ;-)