POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : city buildings as height_fields-- WIP 1 : Re: city buildings as height_fields-- WIP 1 Server Time
2 May 2024 09:47:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: city buildings as height_fields-- WIP 1
From: Kenneth
Date: 3 Mar 2018 16:55:00
Message: <web.5a9b18b5e5be66e2a47873e10@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> I have one small but important question about clipped_by planes: Regarding later
> MEDIA use (if I decide to add it to the scene), do those planes have an
> inside/outside nature like a regular 'plane' object? In other words, do they
> affect the appearance/non appearance of media?

Just tested that; happy to report that an object with clipping planes does NOT
affect atmospheric media in the scene. So clipping planes don't behave like real
'plane' objects.

But for clipping a media_filled *object*-- not recommended anyway-- the results
are odd but expected: The object naturally appears as just a shell now, with the
'appearance' of media on only its inner and outer surfaces-- kind of like a
pigment-- BUT, that depends on if there is another actual background *object*
present, for it to show up against. This particular effect has a familiar look,
actually: In maybe v3.6.0 days, *atmospheric* media had to have an actual object
behind it, otherwise the media appeared to be missing there. That has changed,
perhaps with v3.7.0. (The documentation about this requirement needs updating,
IMO.) Although, I see a different 'kind' of atmospheric media appearance between
v3.7.0 and v3.7.1 beta 9. The latter looks MUCH better.