POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : city buildings as height_fields-- WIP 1 : Re: city buildings as height_fields-- WIP 1 Server Time
1 May 2024 19:13:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: city buildings as height_fields-- WIP 1
From: Kenneth
Date: 1 Mar 2018 09:35:00
Message: <web.5a980e4be5be66e2a47873e10@news.povray.org>
Alain <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:
> You'll also need to manually
> bound those cut hight_field using bounded_by{box{...}}. It would
> probably be more efficient to use a box to cut the opposing walls than
> using planes. A box is defined by 6 floats if there is no texturing and
> no transform.
> So, for the two opposing walls, you need two planes per faces, total 4
> planes or 16 floats, or a single box or 6 floats.

Yes, I totally forgot about the use of bounding boxes (and the probable need for
them with clipped_by planes). Thanks for the detailed analysis; that's another
great idea-- AND they can use the old trick of
      bounded_by{...}
      clipped_by {bounded_by}

> BUT, the very large tiled hight_field will take a large amount of
> memory, and part of it will get cut out and never be used in any way.
> That mean some amount of wasted memory. It will effectively take as much
> memory as the total of every tiles used to make it.

Hmm, currently I don't know if that's true-- I *assumed* that the small
'original' HF tile would be the only memory-intensive one, and that the much
larger 'template' building face would be just 'instantiated copies' of it, with
very little additional memory increase. If this assumption is correct, then I
don't mind wasting some of the large template for the many
randomly-sized copies of the building. But I guess I need to test it!