POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : city buildings as height_fields-- WIP 1 : Re: city buildings as height_fields-- WIP 1 Server Time
7 May 2024 08:47:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: city buildings as height_fields-- WIP 1
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 28 Feb 2018 09:20:00
Message: <web.5a96b988e5be66e21b6c6b3a0@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> About the arrays: I'm not clear about exactly what should go into them, or what
> should be plugged into the image_pattern (although it sounds interesting, and
> I'd like to know):
>
> "building windows 1 holdout.jpg" ?
> jpeg "building windows 1 holdout.jpg" ?
>
> or some other thing?

Well it sounds like Alain's suggestion is the way to go, but just for interest's
sake - you can put anything into an array, I was thinking of just the filename
strings (i.e. without the 'jpeg' specifier).  Then you can do

image_pattern { jpeg FileNameArray[i] }

(or at least I assume this is correct - I haven't actually tried it!)
The other array would be for the texture/pigment blocks, one for each filename,
unless I've misunderstood what you were doing.

I use arrays a lot in SDL for predeclaring mesh-based stuff, then picking
randomly to instance them. Good for building blocks, rocks, textures, whatever.

Bill