POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : city buildings as height_fields-- WIP 1 : Re: city buildings as height_fields-- WIP 1 Server Time
7 May 2024 22:08:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: city buildings as height_fields-- WIP 1
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 28 Feb 2018 02:30:00
Message: <web.5a965972e5be66e21b6c6b3a0@news.povray.org>
> "Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> [snip]
> > This could be a big part of why the memory footprint of the scene increases, and
> > I don't yet know how to work around it-- that is, without a 'brute-force' method
> > of pre-#declaring 50 such constructs as individual texture blocks!
>
> Declare a texture block array. Put the filename strings into another array using
> an initialiser list, then fill the texture block array by iterating over the
> filename array and using Parse_String() (in Strings.inc) to substitute the
> filenames in the image pattern statement. Parse_String() is nasty because it
> writes an include file then includes it on the spot, but as long as you're not
> doing it thousands of times it should be fine.

Yeh I just re-read that, forget Parse_String(), duh, it looks like you just need
to substitute your name string (from the array) to pre-declare all your matte
textures. You could even generate the filename strings instead of using a list
if they're just a numbered sequence.

Or try what Alain suggested - if I understood, it does away with the need for
the matte textures entirely.

Bill