POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : city buildings as height_fields-- WIP 1 : city buildings as height_fields-- WIP 1 Server Time
20 Apr 2024 08:18:34 EDT (-0400)
  city buildings as height_fields-- WIP 1
From: Kenneth
Date: 26 Feb 2018 16:10:01
Message: <web.5a947682a57e5443a47873e10@news.povray.org>
I'm continuing to work on my 'city buildings' scene from a couple of months ago.
I want to turn all the different buildings into height_fields-- not the usual
'from the ground up' HF's, but as the building faces, to add some dimensionality
to them. They probably aren't going to be seen in close-up, but I think they
will look more realistic than just flat-surface box shapes, if only for the
extra shadows they provide.

These are some that I've already made-- they are tiled HFs that I can chop up or
assemble into bigger buildings.  These renders are just basic tests to make sure
that my code is aligning the faces correctly, and to check that the features and
reflections are where they are supposed to be. The thin red line vertical line
at the corners shows that the faces align.  I haven't yet 'scaled' my HF code to
make sure that all the floor-levels of each building are the same height, or
made any '1st floor' artistic modifications (for lobbies, possible store-fronts,
etc... which I haven't figured out yet!)

The shape of the image_maps shows the actual 'tiles' I made, with their various
window repetitions. But my code can chop them up into individual window 'units'
if I want. Some image_maps have more windows, some less.

It's all very tedious Photoshop work, with back-and-forth testing.
The interesting thing about the HFs is, I chose 50% gray as the 'flat face' of
the building, rather then black. This way, I can make indents AND protrusions.
The air conditioning units are one such protrusion; and the last image has been
the most detailed yet.

I haven't yet integrated this HF idea into my main scene code;  some re-working
will be needed there.

The actual building appearance is from internet images I downloaded, then made
into tiles for repetition (same as in my original scene.) Some of those
originals were quite small in pixel-size and had to be blown up to work with (to
create a higher-rez HF).

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'buildings_as_hfs_wip_1.jpg' (686 KB)

Preview of image 'buildings_as_hfs_wip_1.jpg'
buildings_as_hfs_wip_1.jpg