POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Chromadepth scaling to model : Re: Chromadepth scaling to model Server Time
11 May 2024 03:12:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Chromadepth scaling to model
From: Kenneth
Date: 22 Feb 2018 09:20:00
Message: <web.5a8ecfc6b61f5657a47873e10@news.povray.org>
Well, I've found the root of the problems-- all having to do with the object's
bounding-box:

1) There IS a subtle flaw in my code. Right now, I can't describe it clearly in
words, or how to go about fixing it.

2) There's nothing wrong with POV-ray's bounding boxes or min_extent/max_extent
or vlength (except maybe the 'extra space' that's sometimes between object and
box boundaries, depending on the object's rotation. That's still a mystery.)

3) I had another misconception, about the meaning of a bounding-box's min_extent
and max_extent locations. They are *just* coordinates in space-- and the
location of any 'shoot-from' point to *find* those coordinates has an important
bearing on whether they are considered 'near' or 'far' (i.e., which is min and
which is max.) That was my mistaken notion of the points appearing to 'reverse.'

I'm making an animation to show both my current code flaw AND this min/max
relationship. It's very instructive ;-)  I'll post it.