POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Chromadepth scaling to model : Re: Chromadepth scaling to model Server Time
11 May 2024 14:52:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Chromadepth scaling to model
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 21 Feb 2018 10:10:00
Message: <web.5a8d8bafb61f5657c437ac910@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> If I understand what you're asking, the min_extent/max_extent features choose
> those corners automatically for you. (Although, some of my tests indicate the
> 'reversal' of those, for some wacky reason.) But generally speaking, they work
> quite well.

I'm not sure why that would be or if I'm following exactly what you're doing.
Your labels on the renders below seem to indicate that you're looking in
negative directions for whatever reason.  Are you sure that's not part of the
confusion?
And that white arrow is from the origin through the center of the object?

> But I'm seeing another oddity about the bounding box that I don't understand.
> (See the image.) Of course, I made the box object myself, as a
> (hopefully-accurate!) representation of the bounding-box volume-- and
> orientation.

Are you just using something like box {min_extent(object{thing}),
max_extent(object{thing})...} ?

What IS that, and how is it made?   There might be some odd CSG thing going on.
Have you tried just a simple cylinder?

I also suggested you do exactly what you're doing and animate the rotation of
the object so you can see if that extra space is always there, or just with
certain odd orientations.

>But it does make me suspicious,
> that maybe just maybe the REAL bounding box may not actually be cardinal-axis
> aligned??

Well, they have to be, because you're just getting 2 corners out of min and max
extent, and if you box{} that...

> Otherwise, where is the extra space coming from? Maybe it's just the
> natural behavior of auto-bounding... ?

vide supra