POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Chromadepth scaling to model : Re: Chromadepth scaling to model Server Time
13 May 2024 15:45:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Chromadepth scaling to model
From: Kenneth
Date: 20 Feb 2018 06:30:01
Message: <web.5a8c05fcb61f5657a47873e10@news.povray.org>

> As far as I know from docs and/of previous discussions, min_extent and
> max_extent do not give the /exact/ extent of the object. So, I am not
> really surprised you need a fudge factor...

I assumed that a really simple object like my cylinder wouuld have a
well-defined, close-fitting bounding box. The strange thing is, I still don't
fully understand why the color_map spread on the object is so narrow (when not
using the fudge factors). I keep thinkling that my code has a conceptual error
somewhere-- but if so, I haven't yet found it. In theory, it should be doing
what I want it to do.

My own first thoughts were about a possible bounding-box error as well. But that
seems kind of strange, the reason being that the color_map 'spread boundaries'
actually increases across more of the object-- a wider color_map appearance--the
closer the object is to the camera position. I would think that the spread would
remain constant,  *if* the bounding-box error was constant as well. Which keeps
leading me back to wondering if there's a conceptual error...  ;-/