POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Blurred reflection comparison : Re: Blurred reflection comparison Server Time
4 May 2024 14:46:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blurred reflection comparison
From: Kenneth
Date: 17 Feb 2018 01:40:01
Message: <web.5a87cd7b1a4227fa47873e10@news.povray.org>

> I'm not really sure, but the effect might be the same as using a normal
> map and averaging the two normals. Or not.

Yeah, I just re-checked the documentation; you're right, there *can* be more
than one normal statement. (I obviously haven't taken a look there in awhile,
ha.) I probably never thought about it because of the 'caveat' that's mentioned,
about unpredictable behavior.

This is one of those situations that kind of bugs me: a texture can have more
than one of a *certain* kind of entry-- like normals-- but not another kind of
entry (like pigments). I know there are behind-the-scenes technical reasons for
this disparity-- but from a user standpoint, it does seem arbitrary. It's hard