POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Question about media_attenuation behavior. : Re: Question about media_attenuation behavior. Server Time
13 May 2024 21:20:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Question about media_attenuation behavior.
From: Kenneth
Date: 13 Feb 2018 09:25:00
Message: <web.5a82f469672c2bca47873e10@news.povray.org>

> Still trying to get my brain to digest as much as possible of the whole
> of the media code, how it interacts with itself and how it interacts
> with the rest of POV-Ray...

I'm in the throes of doing some further tests (although still with a media
container-object and the camera outside it)-- and I'm seeing some rather odd
things (so far) having to do with scattering's 'extinction' value. The fact that
media_attenuation is currently ALWAYS on (for lights outside the media, and when
your 'void' difference trick is used for a light *inside* the media), it's
really difficult to tell the difference between the media_attenuation effect,
and the separate shadowing (and 'self-shadowing') effects that
scattering/extinction produces. Those effects can't currently be separated out.
I've had to resort to some animation tests of the media with a moving light
source, to try and understand what's going on. It's a  s-l-o-w  process... but
worth the effort ;-)