POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Question about media_attenuation behavior. : Re: Question about media_attenuation behavior. Server Time
14 May 2024 16:10:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Question about media_attenuation behavior.
From: Kenneth
Date: 12 Feb 2018 19:40:00
Message: <web.5a823397672c2bca47873e10@news.povray.org>
Alain <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:

> So, we should add :
> looks_like{sphere{0, 0.001 pigment{rgbt 1}}}
> to the lights that are inside some media container.

I just tried that, and it doesn't work, unfortunately. (And the placement of the
looks_like(..) entry in the light code doesn't fix it either, relative to the
light's translation statement; I thought it might, but no luck.)

Apparently, Bill's successful trick needs an actual CGS difference of a tiny
object from the media container; then media_attenuation comes back on (as if the
light was again outside the media.) Very nice! By the way, here's an interesting
little detail about that small void. My media object code looks like this:

difference{
sphere{0,1}
sphere{0, .005 translate <-.2, 0, .9>} // translation same as light's position
hollow on

The hollow keyword applies to BOTH objects AFAIK-- meaning both objects will
'contain' media. Yet the CSG-difference trick works anyway-- even though the
light is again 'inside a media container' rather than outside it. I don't know
what to make of that, re: a required media-free(?) void , but it's interesting.

My tests so far have been with object media, and with the camera outside the
object. I haven't yet tested atmospheric media. Or a situation where the camera
is *inside* the media object.