POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : creepy figures : Re: creepy figures Server Time
17 May 2024 20:23:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: creepy figures
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 11 Feb 2018 16:25:01
Message: <web.5a80b47f2200fd9e5cafe28e0@news.povray.org>
"Norbert Kern" <nor### [at] t-onlinede> wrote:

> Thank you very much.

Any time  :)  It's always good to see what you and others pull out of your
POV-Ray magic hats after all these years, and inspire the rest of us to push a
particular project forward that last little bit, or dust off an old WIP and
bring it to fruition with new insight and inpiration.

> Testrals are another HP figures with similar look.
> Some Picasso works remind me of such creepy figures too.
>
> Norbert

Yes!   I was searching for "horse" in my memory - but "Thestrals" didn't come to
mind, even though it should have been bloody obvious.   And for whatever reason,
I had it in my mind that they were called "Kestrals" - now I'll have to go watch
a HP movie to check...  damn.

https://images.pottermore.com/bxd3o8b291gf/6HjasiK8zmeIkso2k6YYss/f6c9e16870450817cb5816b6cd827a1c/Thestrals_WB_F5_Thes
tralPortrait_Illust_100615_Port.jpg?w=1200

As a related aside, I'm currently reading "Fablehaven" for my son, and it's a
good story, very readable, and I can see parallels between it and HP as well as
other stories, just as I can see clear influences of LOTR in HP.
I mention this only because it would be amazing to see someone adapt this
figure-filling method to something like a Dementor, a Death-Eater, or Ephira -
to get that long, flowing cloth / shadow / ribbon / smoke effect.