POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Set of old renders 5/10 - Water cup : Re: Set of old renders 5/10 - Water cup Server Time
29 Apr 2024 08:43:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Set of old renders 5/10 - Water cup
From: HENON fabien
Date: 25 Jan 2018 16:20:00
Message: <web.5a6a4942c399a6d13e9f57b0@news.povray.org>
> "Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>
> > I like this; the 'embossed' shapes on the cup look to be actual geometry, not
> > just some fancy normals(?).
>
> It does appear that way, doesn't it?  I was wondering how he achieved such a
> beautiful effect, and you prompted me to unzip the source files he provided and
> look.
> It's just a bump map.
> Alain pointed out the gold stripe, but that I suppose could be due to almost
> anything, depending upon how the cup is "built".
>
> > I wonder how this would look with POV-Ray's newer subsurface scattering effect
> > added?
>
> Yes, that would be something to see, wouldn't it?
> Perhaps add a thin layer of clear glaze with some crazing as well - perhaps do
> an old/new comparison...
>
> Really beautiful work.  This and the watch are my favorites.  Maybe I'll get the
> time to peek at the source of that as well.  :)

Hi,
Thanks for your comments.
Yes it's just a bump map.
If you remove the area_light from the scene, it gets ugply : the bump effect
disappears
Povray 3.7 does not render POV 3.0 well.

I rendered the scene again but with povwin 3.0 (as orginially) and this time
the gold line  is now gone, and the bumps are reversed